THE TIME MACHINE
From past files of The Star News 10 YEARS AGO
January 10, 2013
The Medford Area School Board will present one question to district voters in April in an attempt to build a new pool facility at the middle school to replace the aging high school pool. The question will ask for $5,380,000 to construct the pool at the middle school and do renovations to the high school which include turning the current pool area into another use, including the possible construction of a practice basketball court. The board approved the one question strategy on a voice vote.
25 YEARS AGO
January 14, 1998
Realtors, appraisers, attorneys and others who want information from City Hall about the status of specific real property will have to pay a $10 fee starting June 1. The fee will be used to compensate for the time involved by City Hall staff looking up the information and filling out a Statement of Real Property Status Report. The form, which goes into effect immediately, will include land value, fair market price, outstanding special assessments, and potential pending special assessments on a particular piece of real property, etc.
50 YEARS AGO
January 11, 1973
George Mathews and sons have purchased the former Trading Post store building on the corner of highway 64 and Whelen Ave., in downtown Medford. The building was formerly owned by Mr. and Mrs. William Matheus. Known as the Mathews Implement Co., the business, formerly located on the Mathews farm in the town of Little Black, is a dealer of Badger Northland and Rex farm materials’ moving equipment. A grand opening will be held later, according to the owners.
75 YEARS AGO
January 8, 1948
The complete financial statement of the Medford Federal Savings and Loan association published on another page of this issue, indicates the association continues to have a healthy growth as its assets are well above one million dollars. The association was organized in 1934 with 30 members and a paid in capital of $2,500.00. Memership today is recorded at 800.
100 YEARS AGO
January 11, 1923
Simerson Bros. have sold their interests in Hotel Royal at Stanley possession to be taken by the new owner, a man from the southern part of the state, in about two weeks. The Simerson brothers, Lester and Golden, left Medford to operate Hotel Royal a couple of years ago. They have built up the business of same to a considerable extent during their management. They will remain in the hotel business and are considering a number of desirable locations.
125 YEARS AGO
January 8, 1898
A private dance will be given at Germania hall tonight by Mr. and Mrs. F. Delos Shaw and Mr. and Mrs. Lee W. Gibson. These two worthy old couple acted as chaperones for the young people who participated in the dance given by the young ladies of the Mystic club some time ago, and the present affair is a return dance to the same club and same young people. It is safe to say that a very enjoyable time will be had and many of us old back numbers will wish that we were young again in order that we might be eligible to participate.