Posted on

Abby K-12 seeks $450,000 to help match FEMA grant

The School District of Abbotsford has been selected as a recipient of the 2019 Pre-Disaster Mitigation Grant (FEMA Grant). The objective of this grant is to reduce the surrounding community’s reliance on federal funding in the event of a community disaster.

The proposed project’s design will provide immediate lifesaving protection for up to 1,839 occupants during a tornado or other severe weather event.

Additionally, this project will meet the needs of much needed classroom and multi-purpose space for the growing Abby School District.

The grant itself provides for 75 percent of the construction cost; however, the district and community are responsible for the remaining 25 percent. The district’s share is approximately $1.2 million of a total project projected to be in excess of $3 million.

Beyond the general construction of the dome building, and not reimbursable by the grant, are interior furnishings, equipment, and other finishings.

With the help of the Abbotsford Education Foundation, the district has been able to come up with as much as two-thirds (66 percent) of the district/community cost share, but the district still needs its community partners’ assistance for the remaining one-third, or approximately $450,000.

“The winning of this grant offers a phenomenal opportunity to our small community and our growing district,” said superintendent Sherry Baker. “We are asking community partners to consider how they might help us to reach this goal of $450,000 by possibly donating toward this valuable project.”

“They may do so anonymously or publicly by calling me, Sherry Baker, at (715) 223-6715, emailing me at cbaker@abbotsford., or by snail mail to 510 W. Hemlock St., Abbotsford, WI 54405. Please know that any amount will take us closer to our goal and meeting the needs of our school district and community. Thank you so much for your consideration.”