Posted on



_ April 5 - An officer met with an Abbotsford man who found a prescription pill bottle in the parking lot of a local gas station. The officer found a bag of marijuana stuffed inside the bottle. The man said he was walking through the gas station parking lot when he accidently kicked the bottle before picking it up.

The officer went to the gas station and reviewed surveillance footage to see if he could identify who was originally in possession of the pill bottle. The officer observed the man who picked up the bottle and turned it in, but it was difficult to determine who had left it there. Three different vehicles had parked near where the bottle was found, and the officer noticed a male subject leaning on one of the cars and looking into the passenger’s side window. The officer was not able to positively identify any suspects based on the footage.

_ April 5 - An officer was on patrol in Abbotsford when he noticed two mattresses and two halves of a couch lying on the curb, partially covering the sidewalk. The officer contacted a woman at the house, who said her father was trying to get rid of those items, but had not yet done so. The officer told her that the items were to be removed as soon as possible, as they were violating the city ordinance. The officer provided the woman with a copy of the ordinance and gave her 10 days to remove the items before getting cited.

_ April 5 - An officer spoke to a man at an Abbotsford duplex who was complaining about his upstairs neighbor playing music loudly. The complainant said the music had started the night before, but he didn’t have an answer when the officer asked him why he didn’t report it earlier.

The officer went to the neighbor’s place and could still hear the music playing. He knocked on the door several times, but no one answered. The officer returned later that day, and a man answeredthedoor.Heapologized and said he had fallen asleep and forgot to turn his music off. The officer advised him to be mindful of his neighbor and to keep the volume down. The officer said any further complaints would result in a citation.

_ April 6 - An officer met with a Colby woman in reference to an identity theft complaint. The woman said she had recently been fired from her job in Abbotsford, and when she went to apply for health insurance through the state, she was told that someone else already had insurance under her name.

The complainant said she had also tried to apply for food stamps, and found out that someone connected to her former employer was using her name and Social Security. She said she had already contacted the Social Security office, but also wanted to file a police report. The officer tried contacting the manager at the complainant’s former place of employment, but the manager was not there, so he planned to follow up with her later.

_ April 6 - An officer was dispatched to a Colby store in reference to a counterfeit bill complaint. He spoke to a store employee who said a customer had told her that no one at the store would know if she tried passing a fake $100 bill. This prompted the employee to test the bill she provided. A counterfeit pen did not show any signs, but further inspection revealed that the bill was counterfeit.

When the employee confronted the customer about this, the customer left and said she would come back with real money to pay for the items she brought up to the register. Officers went to the customer’s home in Colby the following day and asked her about the counterfeit bill. The suspect claimed she was joking about using “Monopoly” money, and had actually used a real $20 bill to pay for her purchase.

The suspect admitted that she had ordered $500 in fake bills from a website, but only so her kids could “play” with them. She said she threw all of the fake bills away after the incident at the store. She also said she had shown one of the bills to someone at a local gas station so they knew what to look out for.

Officers re-interviewed the store employees, and they both maintained that the suspect had tried to use the fake $100 bill. An officer also spoke to the manager of a local gas station, who said the suspect had told her that she uses the fake bills to pay back people she doesn’t like. The suspect was interviewed a second time at the police station, and she continued to deny using the fake $100. Based on witness statements, she was arrested for forgery and taken to jail.

_ April 6 - An officer went to an Abbotsford apartment in reference to a mail theft complaint. He spoke to a man who said two female subjects had been taking mail out of his neighbor’s mailbox without his knowledge. He said his neighbor works a lot and probably doesn’t realize his mail is being taken. The complainant said the two woman used to live at his neighbor’s apartment, but they moved in December.

The officer spoke to the complainant’s neighbor, who said he wasn’t sure if he was missing any mail. He said he didn’t know anything about it until the complainant told him. The officer advised him to call the police if he suspects any mail is missing. The officer also tried to locate the two female suspects, but he was unable to, so he planned to follow up on the case.

_ April 6 - An officer was dispatched to an Abbotsford gas station for a welfare check on a female party passed out in the women’s bathroom. The offi cer talked to employees at the store, who said the woman had been in the bathroom for nearly nine hours and appeared to have passed out.

An officer and a Clark County deputy went into the bathroom to check on the woman. When they walked in, she was sitting on the floor, playing on her phone. When asked if she was OK, she said she was fine and was just waiting for a ride. The officer told her that the store employees were concerned because she had been passed out at one point. The woman said she was just really tired because she had not slept in two days, and needed to get away from things going on her life. She denied drinking or using any drugs.

Dispatch informed the officer that the woman had a felony warrant out of Marathon County. She was arrested and taken to jail. No contraband was found.

_ April 8 - A woman came to the police station to post a $100 bond for an active warrant. Dispatch confirmed that she had a warrant issued by Marshfield police for possession of marijuana. The woman posted the $100 bond and was free to go.

_ April 10 - An officer responded to a local grocery store after the owner reported that a woman wearing a hooded coat and pajama pants had stolen a bottle of booze. The store owner said the suspect was now walking down the street after the bottle of whiskey fell out of her pocket when she was confronted by store employees in the parking lot.

The officer located the woman and asked her name. The woman appeared to be intoxicated, so the officer had a hard time understanding what she was saying. When asked about taking the liquor, she said she technically didn’t steal it because she dropped it before leaving the store’s parking lot. The officer told her it was considered theft as soon as she left the store with concealed merchandise.

Another officer arrived on scene, and the suspect put her hands behind her back and said “I’m going to jail.” The first offi cer was eventually able to get her real name, but she admitted that she was afraid to identify herself. Dispatch reported that she was on probation with the condition that she not consume alcohol. She refused to submit a breath sample, but the officers could tell she was intoxicated by her eye movements and the smell of her breath. She was arrested for a probation violation and also cited for theft and obstructing an officer.

_ April 10 - Officers were dispatched to an Abbotsford gas station in reference to a male party who was upset with his mother and wanted to speak with police. Officers met with a man in the parking lot who was pacing back and forth and talking loudly about not wanting to live with his mother anymore.

When asked why he was so upset, the complainant said he had been living with his mother and her boyfriend for about a week and could no longer stand them. He said he just wanted to move back to Milwaukee, where he is from. The complainant said he had just left his mother’s house to cool off after her boyfriend had ridiculed him for not having a job.

The complainant did not have any money for a bus ticket, but he thought he could find a friend from Milwaukee to pick him up. An officer went and spoke to the man’s mother and her boyfriend. The mother said her son has mental health issues, but she’s usually able to calm him down. The boyfriend agreed to stay at a friend’s house for the night so the son would feel comfortable returning. The son agreed to do so.

_ April 11 - An officer was dispatched to a local grocery store in reference to a theft complaint. The officer met with a man who said he had accidently left his wallet on the service counter while he was buying lottery tickets the day before. When he returned to get it, the wallet was gone. He said the wallet contained a few dollars in cash, along with a credit card, debit card and Social Security card.

The officer reviewed the store’s surveillance coverage and could see a female subject slipping the wallet in her jacket pocket before leaving the store. The officer recognized the male party with the woman, so he went to his apartment in Abbotsford. The officer spoke to his girlfriend, and she initially denied taking the wallet. After the officer showed her a picture from the security camera, she returned the wallet.

The suspect claimed she was going to return it to the store, but the officer did not believe her, so she was cited for theft. The officer returned the wallet to its owner, and he confirmed that nothing was missing.

_ April 11 - An officer met with an Abbotsford man in reference to threatening messages he was receiving. The complainant said he had been talking with a woman online, and she gave a him a list of services she provides, along with prices. When he told her he could not afford her prices, the complainant said she got upset and told him that she was going to tell her boss.

The complainant said he started getting multiple phone calls through the WhatsApp program, but he did not answer them. A male subject started sending him threatening photos, including one with an AR rifle and another with a dismembered body. The messages said he would end up dead if he did not resolve the situation.

The officer looked up the phone numbers that sent the messages, and they were registered in either Chicago or Canada. He told the complainant that they were most likely part of a scam meant to scare him into paying money. The officer found several similar scams online, and advised the complainant to be careful about who he talks to online.

_ April 11 - An officer met with two men who came to the police station seeking assistance. One of the men said his girlfriend had thrown all of his belongings outside and said she was kicking him out of his apartment. The complainant said he pays the rent for the apartment, and his girlfriend’s name is not on the lease.

The officer contacted the man’s landlord, who said both the complainant and his girlfriend had their names on the lease, and the girlfriend actually sends in the rent check every month. The officer told the complainant that it was a civil matter, and he needed to speak to his landlord about the situation. The complainant said he would be able to spend the night at his friend’s house.

The officer went and spoke with the girlfriend to get her side of the story. She said she was tired of paying the rent every month without any help from her boyfriend. She showed the officer receipts confirming that she was paying the rent. She said she and her boyfriend had been arguing, but nothing physical happened. She said she had placed all of his possessions in a suitcase and storage bin by his car in the driveway. The officer told her that she would need to seek court action to get her boyfriend removed from the lease.

_ April 11 - An officer responded to an Abbotsford residence in response to an individual lighting off fireworks in his backyard. Another officer had previously warned the same homeowner that night about us­ing fireworks within city limits.

The officer met with the homeowner and asked him why he was continuing to light off fireworks after being told to stop. The homeowner said he and his friend decided to do a “grand finale” to finish off the night. When asked if they had a permit to light off fireworks, they both said no. The homeowner’s friend admitted he was the one lighting the fireworks, so he was cited for setting off fireworks without a permit.

_ April 12 - An officer was dispatched to an Abbotsford residence for a possible domestic disturbance after a female party called 911 while possibly being attacked by a male suspect.

The officer arrived and met with a woman outside who said she had just been an argument with her soon-to-be-ex brother-in-law. She said she called 911 after he pushed her during the argument. She said the suspect took off, but she’s not sure where he went. The officer located the man’s Abbotsford address, and he and another officer attempted to make contact with him, but no one was there. The officer said he would follow up later with the suspect.