Posted on



_ March 23 - An officer received a phone call from a local car dealership regarding a suspicious phone message they received. The woman who left the message said someone pretending to be her son recently purchase a car from the dealership.

The complainant had not yet called the woman back, but he confirmed that the dealership has recently sold a 2016 vehicle and delivered it to the buyer in Illinois. The officer spoke to the person who delivered the vehicle, and he provided the officer with a photocopy of the driver’s license provided by the man who bought the car. He said the car was delivered to the buyer in the parking lot of a hospital in Illinois. He thought the buyer may have been an employee of the hospital, so he went inside to look for him because the buyer wasn’t in the parking lot when he arrived with the delivery.

The dealership employee said the buyer was not, in fact, an employee of the hospital, and when he did show up, he appeared to be in a hurry. The buyer said he was picking up his girlfriend for dinner and asked about signing the paperwork. After the paperwork was signed, he was provided with the keys to the vehicle. Following his conversation with the officer, the dealership employee filled out a stolen vehicle report.

The officer called the woman who had left the message at the dealership, but no one answered, so he left a message. He also tried calling the phone number listed by the buyer in the dealership’s paperwork, but it was not a working number.

The officer was able to get a hold of the man whose name was used to purchase the car. The man said the same person had used his Social Security number and other personal data to purchase two other vehicles from a dealership in Illinois, totalling $130,000. He said he had reported the identify theft to a police department in Illinois. He emailed the officer a photocopy of the license used by the suspect to purchase those vehicles. It was identical to the one used at the local dealership, with the same incorrect middle initial.

The officer also received a written statement from the dealership salesman who dealt with the suspect. He said the suspect’s loan application was initially denied, but after he contacted a lending agency suggested by the suspect, a loan of over $55,000 was approved.

On March 25, the dealership arranged for the stolen car to be tracked using an on-board navigation system. An officer spoke to a representative of a cell phone company about using cell towers to “ping” the GPS system on the car. The following day, the officer was able to pinpoint the location of the vehicle at an address in Indianapolis.

The officer contacted the Indianapolis police, who responded to the location and took possession of the stolen vehicle. The officer spoke by phone with the man who had been in possession of the vehicle. He said he had purchased the vehicle a few days earlier from a man using the same stolen identity. When asked how he came into contact with the seller, he said a friend of his arranged the meeting, but he did not know the friend’s full name. The officer advised him to have no further contact with the seller or his friend.

_ March 24 - An officer was on patrol in Abbotsford when he noticed a vehicle on STH 13 with its taillights out. The officer met with the driver, who said he was driving his boss’s car. The officer ran the license plate number, and it came back as registered to a different vehicle. The name associated with the license plate did not match the name of the driver or the name of his boss.

The officer ran the vehicle’s VIN, but it did not come back as reported stolen. Dispatch also reported that the driver had a revoked license due to an alcohol- related offense. The officer issued him citations for driving with a revoked license and displaying unauthorized plates. The officer also confiscated the plates so they could be returned to their rightful owner. The driver was advised to call for a ride home, which he did.

_ March 24 - An officer was notifi ed of an abandoned vehicle in the parking lot of an Abbotsford business. The officer recognized the vehicle as the same one involved in the previous incident. Since the other officer had removed the plates, the officer used the VIN to track down the vehicle owner in Marshfield. The officer called the woman’s phone number, but the line was no longer in service. The officer checked inside the vehicle for any paperwork listing the owner, but he did not find any. A tow truck was dispatched to remove the vehicle from the parking lot.

_ March 24 - An officer was dispatched to a Colby residence in reference to a loud vehicle complaint. The caller said the car had driven past her house very slowly, and the driver revved the engine. The officer located the vehicle parked in a nearby driveway and made contact with the owner.

The owner admitted to revving his engine, but said he only did it while parked in his own driveway. The officer told him to stop doing that, as he was disturbing his neighbors. He apologized and said it wouldn’t happen again. The officer said any further complaints would result in a citation being issued.

_ March 26 - An officer was dispatched to a gas station in Abbotsford in reference to a gas skip complaint. The officer met with the manager, who said she was going over receipts when she came across one with fuel that had not been paid for. She showed the officer a receipt from Nov. 26 of last year.

The manager said the driver had tried to pay for the fuel with his debit card, but it was out of money. The driver asked if he could go home and get some money. Per the store’s policy, the cashier allowed him to leave after he provided a photocopy of his driver’s license. The officer told the manager that the store might want to tighten up its policy by requiring customers to call someone else and arrange for payment, perhaps over the phone. The manager agreed.

The officer went to the driver’s house in Colby and presented him with a receipt for the gas. He apologized and said he would pay the gas station back by March 31, after he gets paid next. The officer said he would follow-up to make sure the payment was made, and if not, the driver would receive a citation.

The manager also spoke to the officer about two other incidents involving someone who did not return to pay for their fuel. She showed the officer receipts from two separate dates involving the same male subject. When the offi cer asked how this could happen with the same individual, the manager said it was probably two different cashiers who dealt with him and didn’t realize it. Like the other driver, he had left a photocopy of his license.

The officer looked up a phone number for the male subject, but the line was not accepting calls. The officer also reviewed the man’s record, and found that he had a history of delinquent taxes, thefts and fraud. The offi cer sent a letter giving him until April 8 to pay the station for his purchases. He also contacted the station and advised them to be on the look out for the male subject and make sure he has money to pay for items he buys.

_ March 27 - An officer responded an Abbotsford residence in reference to a barking dog complaint. The officer was familiar with the dog in question, and noted that police had received numerous previous complaints. The dog is normally chained up outside and barks at all hours of the day.

The officer spoke to a woman and her son about the complaints. The son said they let the dog out in the morning and let it back inside at night. The officer explained to them that they either need to keep the dog inside or try a bark collar. They said they’ve tried bark collars, but they haven’t worked. The officer mailed a citation to the owner.

_ March 19 - An officer was dispatched to an Colby address after it was reported that a male party had thrown a female party to the ground. The officer arrived and met with a woman who was visibly upset and crying. A male party was also standing next to her.

The officer spoke to the woman, who said she and her fiancé had been arguing at their apartment when she tried to leave in her car. She said he followed her outside and stood behind her vehicle so she couldn’t leave. He then forced his way into the vehicle and grabbed the keys away from her. She said she tried to get out of the car, but he pushed the door into her, causing her to hit her head on the door frame.

The complainant said she started walking away, but her fiancé chased her down, grabbed the back of her neck and threw her to the ground. She said she hit her head on the sidewalk. She said her neck and head hurt, but she declined medical attention. When asked, she said her fiancé had physically abused at least two other times in the past.

Another officer interviewed the male subject, said he had recently moved in with the couple and had witnessed them fighting. He confirmed the details provided by the complainant.

Officers then spoke to the fiancé, who admitted to the basic accusations against him, but claimed he put the complainant in a bear hug and did not grab her by the neck. He said he tripped, which caused them to fall to the ground. He was arrested for strangulation, battery and disorderly conduct and was transported to jail.

_ March 28 - An officer was dispatched to a Colby residence after a female caller reported being headbutted and having her head slammed into a cabinet by her boyfriend. The officer first met with the boyfriend, who was standing outside. He admitted to having an anger problem and getting into an argument with the complainant, but he repeatedly denied doing any physical.

A Clark County deputy stayed with the suspect while the officer went inside and spoke to his girlfriend. The officer could see a red mark on her forehead and noticed that her ear was also very red. She was crying and appeared to be out of breath. She said no to having an ambulance called. When asked what happened, she said they had been arguing because her boyfriend does not have a job and is not helping her pay for bills.

The complainant said her boyfriend got up in her face at one point and head-butted her. She said he also pushed her head into a cabinet door, causing the red marks on her face. She said he has abused her in the past, including an incident two weeks prior, when he grabbed her by the neck and almost made her pass out. She said he wouldn’t let her report the incident and promised it would never happen again. She said she believed him at the time.

The officer returned to the boyfriend and asked him again about his girlfriend’s accusations. He continued to deny physically harming her at all. He was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct, battery, and strangulation.

_ March 28 - An officer was on patrol in Abbotsford when he noticed a vehicle swerving on Pine Street. After crossing the railroad tracks, the vehicle slowed to a near standstill before continuing west. The vehicle was driving left of center and failed to stop for the stop sign at the intersection of Fourth Avenue.

The officer pulled the vehicle over and met with the driver, who had alcohol on his breath. He denied having anything to drink that day. A translator was called to the scene, and when asked again, the driver admitted to having “two beers” at his apartment. Because of the weather conditions, the driver was taken to the police station for field sobriety tests.

The driver had trouble maintaining his balance during the tests and registered a .08 on the breathalyzer. He was cited for driving with a prohibited alcohol content, failure to stop at a stop sign and driving without insurance. He was then released to his son.

_ March 29 - An officer was dispatched an Abbotsford apartment in reference to a loud music complaint. The officer met with the tenant, who admitted that he may have been playing his music too loud. He apologized and agreed to keep the volume down so he wouldn’t disturb his neighbors.

_ March 29 - An officer responded to a 911 call from a man at a local nursing who was claiming the staff did not have a place for him to stay. He said his legs were both very cold. The offi cer arrived and was led to the man’s room as he was being helped into bed. He admitted to dialing 911 because he had been sitting in his wheelchair too long and his legs went numb. He said he was comfortable now that he was in bed. The officer advised him to try his best to get hold of the nursing staff next time instead of calling 911. He agreed.

_ March 29 - An officer responded to a property damage complaint in Abbotsford after a resident reported a vehicle going off the road and tearing up a neighbor’s lawn. The complainant said the same truck drives recklessly down North Third Avenue every night, revving its engine as it goes by. He said he witnessed the truck leave the roadway that night and rip up his neighbor’s grass. He believes it was done intentionally, since he could hear the truck’s engine revving. He said his neighbors were on vacation at the time and he could provide police with their phone number. The officer took pictures of where the vehicle left the roadway at the corner of North Third Avenue and Pine Street.

While patrolling on Elm Street, the officer noticed the truck in question parked at an apartment building. There was fresh mud on the tires, which appeared to match the tread marks left at the scene. The officer was unable to make contact with the vehicle owner, but he did take pictures of the truck The officer also spoke to a resident on Pine Street, whose lawn also had been damaged when the truck left the road. The resident said he would like to press charges and agreed to get a price quote from a landscaping company for fixing the damage. The officer tried calling the truck owner, but the calls went straight to voicemail.