Posted on



_ Feb. 19 - An officer spoke with a man regarding property damage complaint at Abbotsford Middle School. The complainant said someone had either urinated on his son’s shoes while they were in his gym locker or dunked them in the toilet. He said the shoes are completely ruined. He was not sure if the locker was locked at the time.

The complainant said his son was having ongoing issues with four other boys at the school. He said the boys denied doing anything to his son’s shoes, but they were very disrespectful when asked about it. The officer said he would speak to the school resource officer to have him follow up on the complaint.

_ Feb. 20 - A man from outside the area called to request a welfare check on his elderly mother, who lives alone in Colby. He said she is unable to care for herself anymore and is not taking her medication as prescribed. He said his brother tried calling her the day before, but she didn’t answer, so he drove up from Beloit and found her in the bathroom. The two brothers said they would like their mother removed from her home and placed in a nursing home.

Officers went to the woman’s home and spoke with her. She said she realized her sons wanted her to be moved, but she did not want to go to the hospital. The officers noted that she was able to communicate effectively, and did not appear to be mentally incompetent. The woman said she had problems with high blood pressure, but was on medication for it. The woman agreed to have EMTs check her vital signs. Her blood pressure was elevated, but she declined to go to the hospital for further examination. An officer spoke to a social worker at Clark County Adult Protective Services, and they agreed that she did not meet the requirements for protective placements. She agreed to let a social worker visit her for a follow- up check. Her son also said he would make sure she had everything she needed, including a phone if she needed to call for further assistance.

_ Feb. 20 - An officer was dispatched to an apartment in Colby in reference to a constantly barking dog. The complainant said his neighbors keep their dog in a laundry room that shares a wall with his main living space and bedroom. He said the dog barks non-stop for hours on end.

The complainant said he has talked to his neighbors about the issue, but the barking continues. The officer agreed to speak with the neighbors. As soon as he knocked on their door, the officer could hear a dog barking. A male teenager came to the door and said his parents were not home. When told about the complaint, the teen apologized and said he would try to keep the dog quiet. The teen also agreed to tell his parents that the officer had stopped by.

_ Feb. 21 - An officer responded to an Abbotsford business in reference to an unauthorized vehicle parked in their lot. The offi cer located the vehicle and saw that the company had placed a notice under the windshield wiper telling the vehicle owner that his or her vehicle was not allowed to be parked there.

The officer ran the vehicle’s license plate and determined the owner lived in Abbotsford. The officer went to his home, but it was dark and there was no vehicle in the driveway. The following morning, the officer returned and spoke to the owner, who said he had just bought a new vehicle, which was now parked in the driveway. The offi cer told him that the other vehicle registered to him is parked on private property, and the owners want it removed. He said he would move it that day.

_ Feb. 21 - An officer contacted a man in Dorchester about delivering court documents as part of an ongoing case. The man said he was at home, so the officer went there and delivered the paperwork.

_ Feb. 22 - An officer responded to a complaint of a dog at large in Colby. The complaint came from a male resident who has called in several complaints about his neighbors’ dog being loose and going on other people’s properties.

The complainant, who lives across the street from the dog owners, said he had video footage of the dog going out on the street and then urinating on someone’s mailbox. He showed the officer the city’s ordinances and said the dog was damaging federal property by urinating on mailboxes.

The officer reviewed the man’s video from the morning of Feb. 18, and could see the dog leaving the neighbor’s driveway while the neighbor is outside but not watching. Due to the amount of snow on the ground, the officer said he could not determine if the dog actually went onto the road or if it stayed on the curb. The officer also noted that the dog owner’s next-door neighbor had never complained about the dog going on their property. He also said that dogs pee on mailboxes all the time, and it could just as well be a dog someone is out walking.

The complainant said he was tired of his neighbors’ dog being allowed to run around loose without the owners getting in trouble. He also said he has had to pick up poop left behind by the dog. The officer agreed to go and speak with the neighbors.

The officer met with the neighbors’ daughter, who was on the phone with her parents at the time. The officer got on the phone and advised them of the complaint. They wanted to know what the police were going to do about the complainant harassing them. The officer said their dog does need to be on leash if it’s out on the street, and they are required to pick up its droppings.

When they asked about the complainant having a video camera aimed at their house, the officer said he is well within his rights as long as he does not also record audio. The neighbors said they understood. The officer told them that their feud with the complainant needs to stop, and they need to do a better job of watching their dog.

_ Feb. 22 - Officers responded to a report of a possibly suicidal male subject after his girlfriend called to report that he had taken off walking after an argument and was in possession of a knife. The complainant said he had no history of suicidal behavior, but lately he had been making comments about killing himself. A search of the area was conducted, but the subject was not found right away.

Later, the subject called from his brother’s house in Abbotsford and asked to speak with an officer. He said he was not suicidal, but had walked away from his girlfriend’s car because he wanted to get away from an argument they were having. He initially accused her of punching him several times in the face, but he later recanted that. He said she tried swinging at him, but he was able to block it. The officer did not see any injuries to the subject’s face, and the subject said he was not in fear of his girlfriend.

The officer also had the subject speak with a crisis worker, but she agreed with the officer that no emergency detention or crisis plan was needed. The subject and his girlfriend were both able to stay at separate houses that night, so no arrests were made.

_ Feb. 23 - An officer was patrol after 4:30 a.m. in Colby when he noticed a car parked in front of a gas station that was closed. The officer checked on the vehicle, and could see a woman in the driver’s seat with her head bobbing as she sat upright. As the officer was near the vehicle’s rear license plate, the vehicle went into reverse for a few feet before stopping.

The officer met with the driver, who he recognized from previous contacts. When asked why she was parked at the gas station at that time of the morning, she said she had just decided to park there. The officer could smell alcohol, her speech was slurred and her response time was delayed. When he asked her how much she had to drink that night, it took her about 10 seconds to respond. She said she had one drink, but it was hours earlier. She couldn’t clearly recall the events of that night.

Because of the cold weather, the officer transported her to the police station for field sobriety tests. During the tests, the wom­an had trouble maintaining her balance and displayed several signs of intoxication. She also submitted a breath sample for the breathalyzer, which registered a .16 blood-alcohol level. She was cited for drunk driving and released to her husband.

_ Feb. 23 - An officer was dispatched to Abbotsford High School after someone reported being shoved during a youth wrestling tournament at the school. The officer met with the complainant, who said he had tried asking one of the volunteers a question about the event, but he wouldn’t answer the question. He said the volunteer got loud and shoved him on his shoulder. He also said the volunteer got up into his face and asked if he wanted to take things outside.

The complainant said he would be fine if the volunteer would just apologize for his behavior. The officer spoke to the event coordinator, who said he had already talked to the complainant and offered to refund his money. The coordinator said he did not see the incident and would have to review the school’s video footage later.

The officer then met with the volunteer, who said it was the complainant who raised his voice. He said he told the complainant that he needed to speak with the event coordinator about the question he was asking. He denied shoving the complainant, but said he put his hand on the man’s shoulder to direct him toward the event coordinator.

The officer returned to the complainant, and said he would have to review the security footage to determine who was telling the truth of what happened. The complainant said he just wanted an apology. The volunteer approached the officer and said he had already told the event coordinator that he would apologize even though he feels he did nothing wrong. Later that day, the officer was advised by dispatch that the complainant received an apology and did not want to push the issue any further.