From the Elementary Principal
by Elementary Principal Jill Schulz
Happy 2020 from Spencer Elementary School!
It is hard to believe that the 2019-20 school year is already half done! We have had a great school year so far and we are looking forward to all that is yet to come. Here are a few highlights from our year so far:
• A very successful Family Fun Fest organized by our Reading Incentive Committee. Annually we hold our Family Fun Fest and, once again, we had a great turn-out! Over 300 people were in attendance. All who attend play games set-up by our elementary staff, enjoy a meal prepared by our kitchen staff, and have the opportunity to win prizes and books.
• A school report card rating from the state of Wisconsin that shows that Spencer Elementary School student achievement is well above state average. In fact, the achievement shown by our students on the Wisconsin Forward exam, an assessment taken annually by our 3rd-5th grade students in the areas of reading and math, shows that our elementary students are performing better than 80 percent of districts in the state of Wisconsin!
• Mrs. Whitney Eckes, one of our fourth-grade teachers, was named as a Central Wisconsin Teacher of Distinction. She was nominated by her students and selected by her peers. Congratulations, Mrs. Eckes!!
• The acknowledgement and celebration of our student of the month. So far this year the following students have been recognized: Adryan Schmidt (September), Kellie Schesel (October), Jakob Fleishman (November), and Haddie Schultz (December).
• We celebrated over 50 students who have had perfect attendance for the first half of the 2019-2020 school year.
In the elementary school, we have a couple of events that we are looking forward to during the month of February. During the week of Feb. 10, our students and staff will be involved in activities to promote kindness both within our building and community. We are also looking forward to our first ever Math Game Night. Spencer Elementary families, please put Feb. 27 on your calendar. We will be inviting all our families to join our staff from 5-6:30 p.m. to play the math games that are used within our Bridges math program. This is sure to be a fun event for the whole family to attend. Watch for more information to be shared as the event gets closer.
State Testing Information to keep in mind (please do not schedule vacations during this time and try to avoid appointments for students in these grades): ACT– students in 11th grade – March 3 ACT Aspire – students in 9th and 10th grade - April 20-24 Wisconsin Forward Exam – students in 3rd-8th grade –April 20-24. 4th and 8th grade will also test between March 30-April 3.
Dates to remember: Feb. 14 – No school for students, teacher in-service day Feb. 27 – Math Game Night, 5-6:30 p.m. March 19 – Parent Teacher Conferences 1-8 p.m. March 20 – No school – teacher in-service April 9-13 – Spring Break