Posted on



From past files of The Star News


July 8, 2010

The Taylor County Extension Education Committee will wait until fall before making any decision on a possible expansion of the agriculture extension agent position. Committee members are hoping for a clearer picture of the county’s budget picture before looking at a possible expansion of the position from 50 percent to 60 percent time.

The current discussion of expanding the position is in response to the state looking at its budget priorities. As state and federal funds grow tighter, planners in the district extension office would like to know if the county will be expanding the position. The county and state match the cost of the extension agents, who are the local connection to the University of Wisconsin.


July 12, 1995

A citizens Common Law Supreme Court, backed by a citizens’ militia, has been established in Taylor County and nine other counties in west central Wisconsin, according to a recent report in the Wisconsin State Journal.

According to the Journal article the court, which is not officially recognized by existing government agencies, is the latest ploy of anti-government protest groups across the county to give “the second-class citizens who are engulfed in statutes, a separate and voluntary jurisdiction common law venue.”

The controversial protest group known as Family Farm Preservation, based in Tigerton in Shawano County, is behind the court which claims jurisdiction in all of the state’s 72 counties but in particular Columbia, Crawford, Juneau, La Crosse, Manitowoc, Portage, Shawano, Trempealeau, Waupaca and Taylor.


July 9, 1970

A delegation of about 15 Gibson street residents, armed with a petition with 71 signers, persuaded the city council Tuesday night to remove a parking ban and change the arrangement of an arterial on the street on Medford’s west side. They also petitioned the council to impose an 8,000-pound vehicle weight limit, except service trucks, on Gibson. The petition was referred to the roads and street committee and to city attorney Robert Brandner for an interpretation of the law on the proposal.


July 5, 1945

The Harvey Manufacturing Co. has started work on building its new plant at Medford. The site is just south of the Hurd Millwork Corporation’s plant and just west of the Soo Line tracks. It consists of seven acres and it is the place formerly occupied by Pete Latz. Mr. Latz has moved to the house immediately south of the Harvey seven acres. The city limit line runs between the Hurd and Harvey properties, the Harvey location being in the town of Medford.

The company, which manufactures hampers in various sizes, is now operating as best it can in the small space available, in the former Methodist gymnasium building and the former Germania hall.


July 7, 1920

The Railroad Commission by an order issued this week, dismissed the petition of N. H. Deuel and others asking that the C. St. P. M. & O. Ry. Co. be directed to add an accommodation train to the service now given on the Hannibal branch of the company’s line.

“The testimony taken at the public hearing,” says the Commission, “Makes it clear that the existing service in inconvenient for the patrons of the portion of the line east of Holcombe. However, the amount of freight and passenger traffic, present and prospective, is not sufficient in our judgment to warrant an order requiring the operation of additional service.”


July 6, 1895

Havana, July 1.—Maj. Chabran, commanding a detachment of 200 infantry, met and defeated the insurgent bands numbering about 800 men commanded by Castillo and Zayas. The fight took place at Mount San Felippe near Arroyo Blanco, province of Puerto Principe. The government troops captured three positions occupied by the enemy, divided the bands and put them to flight.

The fugitives sought refuge on Mount Pegerriles and San Romanes, leaving five dead on the field and carrying away the wounded. The troops captured forty-nine saddle horses, five carbines, a quantity of ammunition, a number of revolvers and a silk banner.