Posted on



_ Feb. 3 - An officer was dispatched to an Abbotsford residence in reference to a suspicious vehicle complaint. The officer met with a woman who pointed out a vehicle in the parking lot of her apartment building. It had no license plates on it, and the woman said she and her neighbors had no idea who it belongs to. She said the vehicle has been there since the following Friday.

The officer ran the Vehicle Identification Number and determined that the owner lived in Colby. He called the owner, who said the vehicle had broken down and would be fixed shortly. The officer also told her she needs to have plates on the vehicle. The owner said she has the plates inside her vehicle and would move it soon.

_ Feb. 3 - An officer received a phone call from the Menomonie Police Department regarding a domestic abuse incident that reportedly happened at a restaurant in Colby. A Menomonie offi cer said a woman came to the hospital there after a physical altercation with her husband.

The local officer called the alleged victim, who was still in the hospital after getting her wrist X-rayed. The complainant said she, her mother and her husband stopped in Colby to get something to eat on their way to Marshfield. As a joke, she said she took her husband’s cell phone and gave it to her mother to hide in her pocket. Her husband returned from getting more soda and got upset when he couldn’t find his phone. The complainant admitted it was a joke and had her mother give him the phone back.

In response, she said her husband grabbed her hand and bent it backwards really hard, causing her pain. She said her wrist was still hurting, so she decided to go to a hospital to get it checked out.

The officer also spoke to the complainant’s mother, who confirmed the basic details provided by her daughter, though she said the whole thing was supposed to be a “joke.” The officer lastly spoke to the husband, who also said it was a joke and he must have twisted his wife’s hand too hard.

Another officer went to Menomonie later that day to speak with all three parties. The complainant said her wrist had some bruising and she was wearing a brace. When asked if she wanted to press charges against her husband, she said yes. She said he has been physically abusive in the past, but she never reported it before.

The complainant’s mother said her daughter had been bruised by her husband in the past, and she noted that they fight a lot. The husband said his wife had placed her hand in his instead of giving him his phone back, and he must have just squeezed it too hard.

Based on the information the officer received, he arrested the husband and took him to the Marathon County Jail on suspicion of domestic disorderly conduct.

_ Feb. 4 - An officer responded to an alarm going off at a store inside the East Town Mall in Abbotsford. The officer checked all of the outside doors to make sure they were secure. The store’s key holder arrived and they checked the interior, but didn’t see anything suspicious. The key holder thought a mouse may have set off the alarm.

While he was checking the area, he found an unlocked back door at another storefront in the mall. The room behind the door had a bunch of stuff in it, making it difficult to walk in.

The officer contacted the owner, who said the room was used for storage, and another locked door prevented anyone from entering the store itself. He said he would check on the unlocked door the following morning.

_ Feb. 5 - An officer was dispatched to an Abbotsford apartment in reference to a possible violation of a no-contact order. The officer met with the complainant, who said a woman who is not supposed to have contact with her had been parked outside in the apartment’s parking lot while her daughter dropped off some medications.

Based on the conditions of the no-contact order, the officer said the woman was not, in fact, violating the order because she did not enter the complainant’s apartment. The complainant still wanted the incident documented in case something happened in the future.

_ Feb. 5 - An officer met with the manager of an Abbotsford gas station in reference to a gas skip. The manager said someone had pumped $24.40 worth of gas, came into the store to purchase other items, and left without paying for the gas. The manager said the cashier did not ask if the customer had gotten gas, and the customer did not mention it either. The officer ran the vehicle’s registration and was able to make contact with the owner, who said she would arrange for the station to be paid for the gas.

_ Feb. 6 - An officer was dispatched to an Abbotsford residence in reference to a suspicious activity complaint. Dispatch said the residents had complained of someone ringing their doorbell several times over the past few hours and then taking off. The officer checked the area several times during his shift, but did not see anyone suspicious. There were no further complaints called in.

_ Feb. 7 - An Abbotsford woman came to the police department to report harassment against her on Facebook. The woman said she had recently become pregnant and was trying to enroll in the state’s Women, Infants and Children program. She said she could not afford the $400 blood test needed to enroll in the program, so joined a Facebook group called “Give Me Your Money” to see if she could raise the money that way.

In order to prove to the other group members that she is pregnant, the complainant said she posted a picture of a positive pregnancy test. She said members of the group thought it was fake and accused her of being a scammer. She withdrew her request for money and left the group, but one of the members was continuing to harass her through private messages.

The complainant showed an officer screenshots of the conversation. The complainant said she had already blocked the woman from contacting her, but the woman then created another account to continue their conversation. The officer said the messages did not qualify as harassment and asked the complainant why she would continue responding to them. The complainant agreed and said she probably should have just ignored the woman in the first place. The officer could not find the woman’s original Facebook profile, so he advised the complainant to contact Facebook if she continues getting messages.

_ Feb. 7 - An officer was dispatched to a Colby residence for a welfare check after a business called and expressed concerns about an employee not showing up to work without calling.

The officer went to the residence and met with the employee’s wife, who said her husband was at a doctor’s appointment. She said he was not feeling well over the past few days due to some kind of illness. The officer told her that her husband’s employer was concerned because he hadn’t contacted them. She said she would tell her husband to contact the company right away to let them know what’s going on.

_ Feb. 8 - An officer was on patrol in Abbotsford’s industrial park when he noticed a suspicious vehicle parked near one of the businesses after 2 a.m. No other vehicles were parked there at the time.

As the officer was checking on the vehicle, a man came out of the business and said he was working the night shift there. He presented a valid driver’s license, and the vehicle was registered to him. The officer documented this information and continued on with patrol.